My daughter just started kindergarten this past September and since starting school she has become more mature, independent, and responsible. I couldn’t be more proud of her. Here is a list of things (in no specific order) that I hope to teach her as she grows. In compiling this list, I realized how many things I have yet to learn. That’s the great thing about being a parent; it makes you want to be a better person for the sake of your children.
1. You are beautiful inside and out, just the way you are.
2. If you choose to wear makeup remember that less is more.
3. Smart is the new cool. Don’t be ashamed of being call a nerd.
4. Read every day.
5. You can do anything that you want to do if you work hard and believe in yourself.
6. Girls are not inferior to boys, despite what you may hear.
7. Choose your words carefully. Things said in anger cannot be taken back.
8. Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up.
9. If you get a bad grade, it’s not the end of the world. Aim to do better next time.
10. Tell the truth no matter the consequence.
11. Friends will come and go throughout your life but don’t let that stop you from making friends wherever you go.
12. There will be mean girls in school but you don’t have to be one.
13. Be content with what you have.
14. Family is forever.
15. You may feel that you hate me some days and that’s okay. I will still love you.
16. If you find yourself in trouble, call me. Whatever it is, we’ll deal with it together.
17. Be kind to yourself and others.
18. Give generously.
19. Try your best in everything that you do.
20. Listen before you speak.
21. Be careful who you trust.
22. Good things come with time. Be patient.
23. You are responsible for your own actions.
24. Don’t be wasteful. Remember there are people a lot less fortunate than you.
25. Apologizing is a sign of strength, not weakness.
26. Don’t judge people. You do not know their story.
27. If it feels wrong, don’t do it. Trust your gut feeling.
28. Be proud of your roots, your heritage, your culture, and religion.
29. It’s okay to have to your own opinions. We will not always agree.
30. Trust in God.