Each year for Valentine’s Day, I make my family tons of treats. This year due to my injured wrist, I cannot do much by myself and so I enlisted the help of my husband and two children. We kept it simple and made vanilla marbled cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting and sprinkles. They turned out great and the kids were excited to be baking with not only me, but their father as well. I think this calls for more family baking time!
Vanilla Cupcake RECIPE
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup salted butter (room temp.)
- 2 eggs (room temp.)
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- Wilton red gel food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the butter, eggs, sugar together for approximately 10 minutes, while scraping down the sides of the bowl every so often.
4. Add the half the flour and mix slowly, followed by half the milk.
5. Add the remainder of the flour and milk. Mix until all the flour is well incorporated into the batter. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Add the vanilla.
7. Pour half of the batter into another bowl.
8. Add 1 tsp. of red food colouring to that batter and mix with a wooden spoon.
9. Fill the lined cupcake tins with the white batter, then add the red batter on top. Make sure that the cupcake tins are not more than 2/3 full.
10. Use a toothpick to swirl the red batter into the white.
11. Bake until done (approximately 20min). Insert a toothpick in the centre of a cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.
Makes enough to frost 16-18 cupcakes.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temp.)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ¾ cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp. milk
1. Beat the butter, salt, and icing sugar until smooth
2. Add the milk and vanilla and mix.
Decorate as you wish and enjoy!
- Let cupcakes cool completely before decorating.
- Frosting can be tinted to any colour. Use food colouring gels rather than liquid food colouring to avoid thinning the frosting.