This weekend, while shopping at the Real Canadian Superstore for groceries, I came across the fajita pan featured in the image above. It was an amazing deal for $12.99, and I purchased it hoping to make chicken fajitas with the chicken breasts that I was also buying. I originally planned to buy taco seasoning, but after a little bit of research I opted to make my own simple marinade. There is something so satisfying about making your seasonings!
Below is the recipe that I came up with. It is super easy to throw together and it makes a fun meal for the entire family!
- 2 chicken breasts, cleaned and cut into thin strips
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- I medium red onion, sliced
- half red pepper, sliced
- half yellow pepper, sliced
- Make a marinade with 1 Tbsp olive oil, lime juice, all the spices, and salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken strips in the marinade. Place chicken in glass dish and let sit in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Heat your pan, on medium-high, and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Sauté the onions and red peppers until your desired level of doneness (I recommend three min).
- Set aside the peppers and onions.
- In the same pan, sauté the marinated chicken strips until thoroughly cooked (about 10 minutes)
- Add the peppers and onions and sauté for another two minutes.
- Serve with warmed whole wheat tortillas and top with your favourite toppings.
- Beef, shrimp, and even tofu or beans can be substituted for the chicken in this recipe.
- To warm tortillas, cover them in aluminum foil and place them in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, for about 5-10 minutes.
- Some toppings to consider: sour cream, salsa, diced tomatoes, thinly sliced scallions, shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese, guacamole