These meatballs on a stick made with simple ingredients, are fairly easy to prepare and are a great addition to picnic lunches or as an appetizer. They can be grilled or baked depending on your preference. Cook them in this tomato sauce recipe and serve the meatballs with spaghetti or make a meatball sub. Whichever way you decide you eat it, these meatballs are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
- 1 lb beef, chicken, or turkey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onions, sautéed in olive oil until fragrant and translucent
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup basil, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parmesan cheese
- Optional: red chilli flakes to taste
1. In a bowl combine the milk and bread cubes and let soak.
2. Add the ground chicken, egg, garlic, salt, basil, oregano, parmesan cheese, chilli flakes if using, and the sautéed onions.
3. Mix well and refrigerate for about an hour.
4. Prepare your bamboo skewers by soaking the skewers in hot water for about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease the foil with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
7. Divide the meatball mixture into 24 balls. Shape the balls so that they are round.
8. Add four meatballs on each stick, and place on greased baking sheet.
9. Bake until done (about half hour).
10. If desired, bake about halfway through and then place meatballs in your favourite tomato sauce and cook covered, on medium-low heat for about 2 hours.
- Leftover meatballs make great next-day lunches!
- If you liked this recipe, you may also like my sweet and sour meatball recipe.