It is the first day of March and the perfect time to share my recipe for Lemon-Blueberry Bundt Cake. The refreshing lemon in this recipe reminds me so much of Spring and the lemon with blueberry is such a wonderful combination of flavours. The cake itself is light and refreshing and pairs well with tea or coffee. I usually like to make tea and coffee cakes in a bundt pan because it looks pretty but if you don’t have a bundt pan, the cake can be baked in two 8-inch pans as well.
Lemon-Blueberry Bundt Cake RECIPE
Makes: One bundt cake or two 8-inch cakes
- 2 cups plus 1 Tbsp flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- lemon zest of one whole lemon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease the bundt cake pan with butter.
- Wash and pat dry the blueberries. Then coat in 1 Tbsp flour and then place in freezer for 15 minutes. This step helps the blueberries stay in place rather than sinking to the bottom during baking.
- Mix the milk, lemon zest, and extracts and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In another bowl cream the butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy, taking care to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in flour mixture alternating with the milk mixture in two additions. DO NOT over-mix the batter as over-mixed batter will result in a tough cake rather than a moist and fluffy cake.
- Beat in the sour cream.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries using a wooden spoon.
- Pour into prepared bundt cake pan and bake until done, approximately 45-50 minutes (please keep in mind baking times may differ due to variations in oven temperatures).
- Let cake cool for ten minutes before removing cake from pan. Let cake finish cooling completely on a cooling rack before dusting with icing sugar.
- When you start to smell cake, it is close to being done. To check for doneness, simply insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake. If it comes back clean, the cake is done.
- Let cake cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar or glaze.
- Cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.