My children and their father LOVE chocolate chip cookies, and so this recipe is one that gets requested often. As I have stated (probably every chance I get), I enjoy and prefer making as much as I can at home from scratch. Everything just seems to taste better when it is homemade and you get absolute control over the ingredients and the quality of those ingredients. This recipe is very easy and a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen. My three-year old son helped me measure all the ingredients, prepare the dough, and spoon the dough onto the cookie sheet.
Chocolate Chip & Pecan Cookies RECIPE
Makes: 35 small cookies
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour to the sugar and butter mixture. Use a wooden spoon to combine until dough is formed.
- Add the chocolate chips and pecan pieces and combine well.
- Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator for about an hour (ensuring the dough is chilled will help the cookies retain their shape as they bake).
- In the meantime, prepare your cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper. It is not necessary to grease the sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the dough has chilled, use a Tbsp measuring spoon to drop dough onto the cookie sheet. Leave one inch space between cookies.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until edges are nicely browned.
- Let cookies cool completely on a cooling rack before storing.
- Cream of tartar can be found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store. In this recipe, it is used to help the cookies rise in combination with the baking soda, and also to prevent over-browning of the cookies.
- This is a very versatile cookie recipe; you may choose to add dried cranberries or other dried fruit or even shredded coconut. Keep additions to a maximum of 1.5 cups in total.
- Recipe can easily be doubled.
- If you wish to make larger cookies, simply drop larger amounts of dough onto your baking sheet. Keep in mind that they may take longer to bake.
- For crispier cookies, bake a minute or two longer than called for. Keep an eye on the cookies to prevent them from burning.