Milk Toffee is a popular Sri-Lankan sweet that is often made for birthdays and holidays. It is my dad’s favourite sweet as well as my daughter’s so you can be sure that I make this a lot more than any other sweet.
Milk toffee is quite easy to prepare as it requires very little ingredients. The only difficult step, which will improve with practice, is knowing when to take the mixture off the heat. If you remove it a little too early, the mixture will not harden as it is supposed to. If you cook it a bit too long, the mixture will burn or harden before you get the chance to spread and cut it. I speak from experience when I say that this recipe is best made when your little ones are asleep.
Milk Toffee RECIPE
- 1 can condensed milk (300mL)
- 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp ghee plus extra
- a pinch of ground cardamom
- Optional: 3 Tbsp of roasted cashews, chopped
- Lightly grease a square baking tray with ghee and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan combine the sugar and water over medium heat. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the condensed milk and stir to ensure the milk mixes well with the sugar. Continue stirring over medium heat for twenty minutes or until the mixture starts pulling away from the pan. It is important to stir continuously to prevent burning. The mixture will bubble and turn thick before it starts to clump together and pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Add the ghee, roasted cashews, and cardamom powder. Stir vigorously for another 5-10 minutes.
- Quickly pour the mixture into the greased tray and flatten using a spatula. Work quickly to spread the mixture evenly but remember that the mixture will be extremely hot.
- Leave the mixture to cool for five minutes before cutting into squares. Do not leave it to cool for longer than five minutes or else it will turn too hard to cut.
- Milk Toffee contains a lot of sugar and fat. Consume in moderation.
If you try this recipe please leave me a comment below! I love reading your comments but more than that your comments help me improve the recipes that I post.