For those of you who are unaware, I am on a mission to post reviews of my favourite lunchboxes and lunch essentials throughout the next couple months. There will also be a few exciting giveaways, so make sure that you are following me on Instagram.
Most of you know that I pack school lunches in variety of lunchboxes for Akshaya and Udayan. I kid you not when I say every day I receive emails inquiring about the different kinds of bento-style lunchboxes, where to purchase them, and the pros and cons of each. Hopefully these reviews will help those of you shopping around for lunch kits for school or summer camp. I have posted my review of the Planetbox as well as my review of the Yumbox. In today’s post, I will be discussing the third and last lunchbox that we own – the Omiebox.
It is hard to believe that my kids have only had their Omieboxes for about three months because we use it so often. I bought the Omieboxes as Valentine’s Day gifts for Akshaya and Udayan and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. The Omiebox is the only bento-style lunchbox available in today’s market that is capable of storing both hot and cold foods. If your children love hot lunches, this lunchbox is definitely worth buying!
Here’s what we LOVE about the Omiebox:
- made from food-safe material
- BPA and phthalates-free
- three vibrant colour options to choose from
- consists of three compartments and a divider to create a fourth compartment
- leak-proof (you can pack items such as applesauce and yogurt in the compartments)
- each compartment is sealed individually so that food does not leak from one compartment to another
- uses air insulation to keep veggies and fruits cool, and vacuum insulation to keep entrées hot with minimal heat transfer between compartments
- insulated bowl is made with two layers of stainless steel to keep foods warm for up to 4 hours
- insulated bowl is wide and shallow so that kids can scoop food out easily
- the lid of the insulated bowl is designed so that kids can easily open it
- insulated bowl can be removed to accommodate an entire sandwich
- juice box and utensils can be packed within the Omiebox
- very sturdy which eliminates the need for a carry bag
- spare parts can be purchased for when parts are lost
- super easy to clean and dry
If you live in the United States, you can purchase your Omiebox directly from the Omiebox website. Canadian residents can purchase an Omiebox in person from Readi Set Go located in Ottawa or through the Readi Set Go online shop. I ordered both of our Omieboxes from Readi Set Go and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how fast I received my package. Shipping is free for orders exceeding $150 CND so I definitely took advantage of that and ordered a couple smaller items that I had my eye on. To keep up with Readi Set Go’s latest products and giveways be sure to like their Facebook group here and follow them on Instagram here.
The Omiebox is also available for purchase on Amazon.
- The insulated bowl can hold up to 7.5 oz. of food which is equivalent to a little less than 1 cup of food.
- The Omiebox is heavier than some of the other bento-style lunchboxes on the market however my kids (ages 6 and 5) have not mentioned the weight being a problem.
- When closing Omiebox, press down on the lid and secure the latch to create the best seal.
- Some kids do have trouble closing the lid of the Omiebox but your child’s lunchroom supervisor should be able to assist with opening and closing if that is a concern.
- The contents of the Omiebox must be washed daily after use, to prevent mold from forming on the silicone seal.
- In my opinion it is best to wash the Omiebox in warm, soapy water by hand. The Omiebox is dishwasher-safe but it is recommended that it be removed before the dry cycle of the dishwasher.
- The gasket on the lid of the insulated bowl should be removed, washed, and air-dryed completely to prevent any growth of molds.
- When packing in your insulated bowl, make sure to heat the food until boiling temperature to ensure that the food stays warm and safe to eat. It is also best to pre-heat your insulated container with boiling water for five minutes before adding the hot food.
- Although a carry bag is not necessary, the Omiebox does fit most standard-sized lunch totes.
Below are just some of the many lunches I have packed in our Omieboxes. Follow me on Instagram for more lunch box ideas!