For those of you who are unaware, I am on a mission to post reviews of my favourite lunchboxes and lunch essentials throughout the next couple months. There will also be a few exciting giveaways, so make sure that you are following me on Instagram.
Most of you know that I pack school lunches in variety of lunchboxes for Akshaya and Udayan. I kid you not when I say every day I receive emails inquiring about the different kinds of bento-style lunchboxes, where to purchase them, and the pros and cons of each. Hopefully these reviews will help those of you shopping around for lunch kits for school or summer camp. I have posted my review of the Planetbox as well as my review of the Yumbox. In today’s post, I will be discussing the third and last lunchbox that we own – the Omiebox.
It is hard to believe that my kids have only had their Omieboxes for about three months because we use it so often. I bought the Omieboxes as Valentine’s Day gifts for Akshaya and Udayan and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. The Omiebox is the only bento-style lunchbox available in today’s market that is capable of storing both hot and cold foods. If your children love hot lunches, this lunchbox is definitely worth buying!
Here’s what we LOVE about the Omiebox:
- made from food-safe material
- BPA and phthalates-free
- three vibrant colour options to choose from
- consists of three compartments and a divider to create a fourth compartment
- leak-proof (you can pack items such as applesauce and yogurt in the compartments)
- each compartment is sealed individually so that food does not leak from one compartment to another
- uses air insulation to keep veggies and fruits cool, and vacuum insulation to keep entrées hot with minimal heat transfer between compartments
- insulated bowl is made with two layers of stainless steel to keep foods warm for up to 4 hours
- insulated bowl is wide and shallow so that kids can scoop food out easily
- the lid of the insulated bowl is designed so that kids can easily open it
- insulated bowl can be removed to accommodate an entire sandwich
- juice box and utensils can be packed within the Omiebox
- very sturdy which eliminates the need for a carry bag
- spare parts can be purchased for when parts are lost
- super easy to clean and dry
If you live in the United States, you can purchase your Omiebox directly from the Omiebox website. Canadian residents can purchase an Omiebox in person from Readi Set Go located in Ottawa or through the Readi Set Go online shop. I ordered both of our Omieboxes from Readi Set Go and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how fast I received my package. Shipping is free for orders exceeding $150 CND so I definitely took advantage of that and ordered a couple smaller items that I had my eye on. To keep up with Readi Set Go’s latest products and giveways be sure to like their Facebook group here and follow them on Instagram here.
The Omiebox is also available for purchase on Amazon.
- The insulated bowl can hold up to 7.5 oz. of food which is equivalent to a little less than 1 cup of food.
- The Omiebox is heavier than some of the other bento-style lunchboxes on the market however my kids (ages 6 and 5) have not mentioned the weight being a problem.
- When closing Omiebox, press down on the lid and secure the latch to create the best seal.
- Some kids do have trouble closing the lid of the Omiebox but your child’s lunchroom supervisor should be able to assist with opening and closing if that is a concern.
- The contents of the Omiebox must be washed daily after use, to prevent mold from forming on the silicone seal.
- In my opinion it is best to wash the Omiebox in warm, soapy water by hand. The Omiebox is dishwasher-safe but it is recommended that it be removed before the dry cycle of the dishwasher.
- The gasket on the lid of the insulated bowl should be removed, washed, and air-dryed completely to prevent any growth of molds.
- When packing in your insulated bowl, make sure to heat the food until boiling temperature to ensure that the food stays warm and safe to eat. It is also best to pre-heat your insulated container with boiling water for five minutes before adding the hot food.
- Although a carry bag is not necessary, the Omiebox does fit most standard-sized lunch totes.
Below are just some of the many lunches I have packed in our Omieboxes. Follow me on Instagram for more lunch box ideas!
Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for reading 🙂
Can you use more than one divider at a time to make additional smaller sections?
Yes, but the sections will not be leak-proof.
Hi, I’m contemplating between getting this (which is rather expensive) or yumbox with thermos instead. Would you mind to share your thoughts? Thanks 🙂
Hello I am trying to decide whether to get this box for my children. Wondering where the utensils go inside? ALso, I love the utensils you have with smiley faces-do you remember where you got them?
Hi, the utensils are called Happy Face Cutlery. Cutekidstuff.com or BentoUSA.com sells them online. I place the utensils inside of the Omiebox 🙂
Hi! I just discovered the Omiebox today and am contemplating it for my son! I was just wondering though. I’m so used to having to pack things in an insulated lunchbox with an ice pack! If I get the Omiebox, am I understanding correctly that I would NOT need to pack it inside an insulated lunchbag with an ice pack? I just want to make sure that if I pack say strawberries or cheese or something else that’s supposed to stay cool, then they’ll still be good by the time nutrition break rolls around. Thank you so much!!!!
Hi, Technically you do not need to pack an icepack with the Omiebox. However, the fruit that I pack in the other compartments do not stay the same temperature – it actually gets warmer. I would definitely not pack cheese in it because it will neither remain cold nor firm. The compartments are great for fruit, veggies, crackers, and for holding drinkable yogurt or juice boxes.
Beautiful and useful lunchbox. Annoying to constantly remove rubber seal to clean. Guaranteed mold if you dont do daily and airdry daily. Yes, you will constantly have the rubber seal out marring your beautiful granite countertop…
It is tedious to clean the silicone seal, however the lunchbox has been very useful for us because my kids prefer hot lunches opposed to cold.
Can you also make a review on bentgo lunch box?
I have never used a Bentgo box so I wouldn’t be able to review it. Sorry!
I bought this for myself and I am thoroughly disappointed considering I paid $40 for a KID’s lunch box. 1) I followed the directions and my food was barely room temp after about 3 hours. So I used it for salad and my dressing was EVERYWHERE!! It was not leakproof. I wish I could get my money back. Additionally, the flatware was separate…at least those work.
I’m sorry to hear that. I bought these in 2016, so maybe the quality has gone down since then. I know for a fact when the thermos was pre-heated with boiling water first, the food I packed in the morning remained hot enough for lunch for my kids. I highly suggest that you contact the company and see if you can get a refund.
What brand of fork and spoon is that? We find our standard size Munchkin utensils are a bit long for the side compartments when we include something else on the side.
Comments are closed.