All three of my children are huge fans of Brussel sprouts, however the only way they ate them (until a couple days ago) was roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. A few days ago, I used the brussel sprouts to make a varai and it turned out delicious. It was so quick to prepare as well, so I will definitely be including it often on our veggie days.
Brussel Sprout Varai RECIPE
- 3.5 cups of brussel sprouts, washed, cleaned, and thinly chopped
- half an onion, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red dried chilli
- 1-2 Tbsp. sesame seed oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1/3 cup grated fresh coconut or coconut pieces
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and dried red chilli. Stir often until the mustard seeds start to sputter.
- Add the onions and curry leaves and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the brussel sprouts, turmeric, salt, and water. Stir often to prevent burning, until the brussel sprouts are cooked (about 8 minutes).
- Once the brussel sprouts are soft, turn off the heat and add the coconut. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve warm with rice and other curries.