I am the mom that buys A LOT of granola bars (even though they aren’t cheap) because I am also the mom with very little time on her hands. However, when I do have time and am not swamped with a million things to do, I do enjoy making my own healthy snacks for the kids. One of our favourite homemade, healthy snacks are the Date Energy Balls, I posted several months prior. This recipe is quite similar, however it is nut-free and incorporates the goodness of oats. These oat snack bars are super easy to make and requires no baking, other than for toasting the oats. if you choose to do so. Healthy, soft, chewy, kid-approved, and nut-free for school – I couldn’t ask for a better snack bar!
Oat Snack Bar RECIPE
- 2 cups, oven-roasted old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted and then finely minced
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter/pumpkin seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. salted grass-fed butter
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, and raisins.
- In a saucepan on medium-low heat, melt the butter, honey, sunflower seed butter, and minced dates. Stir until the mixture turns uniform and starts to bubble.
- Pour the butter and honey mixture into the large bowl. Combine well using a spatula.
- Spread the mixture onto a square baking tray lined with parchment paper. Use a piece of parchment paper or the bottom of a drinking glass to press the mixture down firmly.
- Place the tray in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 bars with a sharp knife.
- To toast oats, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange the oats evenly on a dark metal tray. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
- Other dried fruit or nuts may be substituted for the ones listed above.
- Vegans may substitute honey with maple syrup and the grass-fed butter with coconut oil.
If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments below!