Mexican rice is essentially white rice cooked with onions, garlic, tomato sauce, and broth. My recipe is definitely not an authentic one but it is flavourful, delicious, and loved by my family. This recipe is always a part of our burrito bowls and leftovers are great used in a bean burrito the following day. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
NOTE: I used my Instant Pot to make this, but the same recipe can be made in a rice cooker, or even on the stove-top. When using the rice cooker method, sauté onions on the stove before adding it to the rice.
Mexican Rice RECIPE
- 2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use homemade veggie sauce)
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil, then add the onions. Sauté until the onions turn golden and translucent. Add the garlic and
sauté for about a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the rice, tomato sauce, broth, oregano, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover and let cook until done. Once the rice is done, add the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave me your thoughts in the comments below 🙂