We eat a lot of chickpeas in my household. However, I am always switching things up so the kids do not get bored of eating the same things day in and day out. One of my recent kitchen success stories is this spiced chickpea dish that I am about to share. This simple dish, cooked in fire-grilled tomato puree, is flavourful and aromatic thanks to the abundance of warm spices used.
Spiced Chickpea in Tomato Gravy RECIPE
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 – 19 Oz. cans of chickpeas
- 28 Oz. can of fire-grilled tomatoes, puréed
- half a yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Jaffna curry powder (can substitute with chilli powder)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- salt to taste (I used 1 tsp. salt)
- Optional: chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until it turns golden. Add the garlic and sauté until the raw smell disappears (about a minute).
- Add the cinnamon stick and raw spices. Sauté for about a minute, taking care not to burn the spices.
- Now add the chickpeas, tomato purée, honey, and salt. Give the contents of the pot a quick stir then cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Stir about two times in-between to prevent burning.
- Once the chickpeas have finished cooking, check seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Top with chopped coriander leaves and enjoy warm with sides of your choice!
- This dish is mildly spicy due to the addition of curry powder. Adjust according when making this for toddlers or for those that cannot tolerate spicy foods.
- If using canned chickpeas, opt for organic canned chickpeas because the lining of the tin is BPA-free. Sautéing the onions, garlic, and then spices, helps develop layers of flavour, thereby heightening the overall taste of this dish. Avoid skipping this step.
- This dish can be made the Instant Pot. First use the sauté feature to sauté the onions, garlic, and spices. Then add the chickpeas, tomato purée, honey, and salt. Put the lid on and seal. Cook on the soup feature for 20 minutes. Release the steam once done and give it a quick stir.
- Sides can include couscous, rice, salad, steamed veggies, or even mashed potatoes.