A couple days ago, I asked Vishnu what he wanted to eat for dinner and he said “carrot soup.” I’m not quite sure if that is a thing but that is definitely what I ended up making. I should of known better than to ask my two-year old but at least he didn’t come up something too crazy.
Anyways, this carrot soup turned out delicious! This soup is vegetarian as well as vegan. It’s made with carrots, ginger, turmeric, ground coriander, coconut milk, and a few other ingredients which compliment the carrots really well. I even added some red lentils for protein. The soup blended really nicely and the coconut milk added the creaminess that a soup like this needs.
I served the soup with a generous topping of chopped coriander leaves, sesame seeds, and chilli flakes, as well as croutons on the side. The carrot-lentil soup was a huge hit with two of my kids and it is definitely something that I will be making again.
Carrot-Red Lentil Soup RECIPE
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 inch piece ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped coriander leaves, chilli flakes
- In a large pot, heat up the olive oil on med-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they turn soft and golden. Add the carrots and garlic, then sauté until the carrots turn soft (approximately 5 or so minutes).
- Add the ginger, and sauté until the raw smell disappears. Add the salt, black pepper, coriander powder, and turmeric. Stir for a minute until the smell of raw spices disappear.
- Add the lentils and pour in the vegetable broth. Cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes, until carrots turn completely soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup for about 2-3 minutes, until it is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the coconut milk, and bring the soup to a gentle boil.
- Serve warm, topped with chopped coriander leaves.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know in the comments below!