Last week I bought a huge bag of the most sweetest organic Fuji apples and started dreaming of all things apple. Firstly I opted to make an apple loaf instead of my weekly banana bread and since there is no better combination than apples and cinnamon, I added a good pinch or five of ground cinnamon. As always I took upon the challenge to create a healthier loaf by using coconut sugar, coconut oil, and whole-wheat flour. Most of my culinary experiments seldom turn out on the first try, but this apple-cinnamon loaf was a winner! It turned out moist and delicious while satisfying our sweet tooth.
Apple-Cinnamon Loaf RECIPE
Makes: 1 loaf
- 1.5 cups Fuji apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 tsp. pure vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper, then lightly grease the sides of the pan with butter/oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer, combine the coconut sugar, eggs, and oil. Add the milk and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate the flour mixture, taking care not to overmix.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with half the apple-cinnamon mixture. Cover with the remaining batter and then top again with the remaining apple-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until cake is done.
- Serve slightly warm.
- Baking time depends on your oven. Keep an eye on the loaf starting at 40 minutes. When a clean knife or toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf, comes out clean, the cake is done. Another test of doneness is to gently press the centre of the loaf and see if it springs back up.
- Granny Smith apples also work well in this recipe.
If you love apples, you might also love my apple crumble recipe here.