Karthik and I came down with something viral a couple days ago. Between the two of us we have a sore throat, sneezing, stuffy nose, runny nose, and the occasional night-time cough. When I notice these symptoms or just general exhaustion even, I make a batch of my immunity-boosting drink. It contains freshly squeezed orange and lemon juices, fresh pineapple, turmeric, fresh finger, freshly cracked black pepper, and honey. We drink it twice a day; a couple tablespoons diluted in warm water for the little ones and hope whatever it is passes quickly. We notice a huge difference in just a day!
If you are wondering how this works to help boost your immune system, keep reading.
The orange, lemon, and pineapple are all excellent sources of Vitamin C (as is turmeric). However pineapple is also known to suppress cough.
In addition to turmeric being high in Vitamin C, it also holds antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Black pepper provides some relief from nasal congestions, helps supress cough, and helps loosen mucous and phlegm. It also helps activate the properties of turmeric.
Ginger helps relieve sinus pain, nasal congestion, and sore throat. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent and loosens mucous in the throat and lungs allowing it to be expelled from the body more easily.
I add Manuka honey for its antibacterial, antiviral, immune-boosting properties as well as for sweetness.
Immunity Booster RECIPE
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (about 6 small oranges)
- half cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 1 cup worth of pineapple cubed
- 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- half tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Manuka honey to taste (about quarter cup)
1. Blend everything but the honey in a blender. Slowly mix in the honey and store in an air-tight glass container.
- Keep refrigerated for up to a week. Shake before each use.
- Adult dose: A shot glass worth, two- three times a day an hour before meals.
- Children: Two tablespoons worth, two times a day, diluted in warm water or orange juice if desired.
- Toddlers: One tablespoon diluted in water.
- Not recommended for babies (children under one)