If you’re looking for an easy but delicious treat to make with the kids (or by yourself) this Valentine’s Day, look no further than these Rocky Road bars. All you need is an 8 oz bar of good quality, semi-sweet chocolate, unsalted butter, and your favourite additions such as marshmallows, cookie bits, and nuts of your choice. We used Dandies vegan marshmallows as we do not eat gelatin, Graham crackers, and toasted walnuts. Always toast your nuts for the best flavour. Digestive cookies or puffed rice are the best options. Some freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries, and pink marshmallows would have been great additions for Valentine’s Day but we didn’t have any so we left them out.
Rocky Road Bar RECIPE
- 1 8oz bar of good quality, semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 3/4 cup cookies, broken into small pieces
- 3/4 cup toasted nuts, chopped
- a splash of vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- In a double broiler, (or the mircowave) melt the chocolate and butter together. Heat slowly to avoid burning or seizing of the chocolate. Once the butter and chocolate is incorporated, mix in vanilla and salt.
- Add in the marshmallows, cookie bits, and nuts.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×9 parchment filled pan and let it harden in the freezer.
- Once hardened, slice into squares and store in an air-tight container.