This past weekend’s snowstorm had the kids craving some creamy, rich soup. I opted to make this ravioli soup because I remembered that I hadn’t had the chance to share it on my blog – This became the perfect chance.
We kept this soup, vegetarian but feel free to use ravioli of your choice as well as chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth if you so choose. This is excellent as is though, and would make a great meatless meal for those of you looking to cut down your meat consumption. This recipe makes enough for about 6-8 servings. Feel free to halve it if need be or make a large batch and freeze.
Ravioli Soup RECIPE
- 1 package ravioli of choice
- 3 Tbsp. good quality EVOO
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 28 oz. fire-grilled crushed tomatoes
- 700 mL jar of tomato pasta sauce
- 5 cups of veggie broth
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of basil leaves, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the oregano, parsley, minced garlic, chilli flakes, if using and give it a quick stir.
2. Add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, veggie broth salt, and cover and cook until tomatoes are cooked through. Remove the pot from the heat, and using an immersion blender, blend the soup to your desired consistency.
3. Put the pot back on the stove, add the ravioli and cream. Cook for about 8 minutes, uncovered, on medium-heat until the ravioli is cooked through and soft.
4. Add the spinach, basil, and black pepper and stir. Turn off the heat. Serve warm.
- I kept this recipe quite simple, but mushrooms, zucchini, and red peppers really elevate the flavours and add texture to the soup. Add them during Step. 3.